7 November 2016
Responsible and sustainable business
This area represents our desire to ensure we maintain and develop trusted, open and valued relationships with people who invest in us and universities who partner with us. Become the most trusted student accommodation brand with students making us their first choice for home while at university.
As a FTSE 250 listed company, Unite has a duty to promote the success of the business for the benefit of shareholders. We believe there is no contradiction between this goal, and behaving in a responsible and sustainable manner towards all those we affect. We must act with the highest standards of corporate governance and integrity at all times across all areas of our operations.
Safety, wellbeing and security of our customers and visitors
- We seek to conduct our business in accordance with the highest standards of business and personal ethics at all times, as outlined in our code of ethics.
- In support of the code of ethics, all Unite staff are subject to our corporate gifts and hospitality policy and expenses policy, which together leave no space for bribery, corruption or fraud.
- Colleagues with access to specific confidential or sensitive information are subject to the employee share dealing code, which requires them to seek written permission from the company secretary before buying or selling shares and imposes various ‘closed periods’ prior to annual reporting.
- We provide all colleagues with guidance on reporting any concerns such as improper accounting or conduct, fraud or criminal acts, health and safety breaches, anti-competitive behaviour, discrimination, bullying, harassment, environmental damage or any other such activity.
- Unite′s company secretary and head of legal maintains a regulatory change tracker in order to forewarn the business of impending legislation or regulation.
- Alongside this activity, we treat the safety and wellbeing of all our customers and visitors extremely seriously. We operate a strict and robust contractor management process to ensure that anyone carrying out work within our business does so safely. Our customer safety and wellbeing is paramount.
- We also operate a network of wellbeing ambassadors who are located in each of the cities in which we operate.